Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Horray for Care Packages

Hello there all!!

Ok, I have to admit, I’m done apologizing for the infrequency of my updates. It’s madness around here and it seems that for every one thing I get done, two more pop up. Not that I’m complaining. Time is absolutely flying by thankfully. And as an added bonus, my veins and arteries should be twice their size by the time I leave this place from the constant increases in blood pressure. That will help me be more cardiovascularly fit – right?

Anyhow, this is a fairly simple update that I keep promising to multiple people. It’s the proof that we got your care packages! That’s right, your gifts have not been lost by the military postal system – just temporarily delayed by a couple weeks in most cases. And I will tell you right now that I thank each and every one of you for not sending any perishable good or meat products, especially any in leaky cellophane wrappers. Also, I must say that while cookies and candy are nice as we find in most care packages…I have seen some pretty creative stuff as well and the staff here appreciate it. So without further ado – let’s get to the easy to read part….PICTURES.
Below is a picture of one of the first packages I received from non-family members. This one was a “mystery” package that arrived out of the blue from the American Legion post in Kentucky. One of the best parts of this was really the Skyline and Gold-Star Cincinnati chili in the can. Folks from all over the globe now understand why I have to run on a regular basis…because I keep going back for more!!!



This next package is a package from my friends at the Health Department containing tons of books. I don’t know of a single one that didn’t find at least one reader…most have been circulating to more than one. My personal favorite – “No Touch Monkey”. A book about things learned NOT to do during international travel.



This next box here is from all the great kids down in “I didn’t know you could go south from New Orleans” Plaquemines Parish Louisiana. They all sent me cards too which were very nice and thoughtful. But for now, just enjoy the picture of me enjoying the goodies. And to that nice girl who was born on the best day of the whole entire year – October 4th – “HELLO FROM IRAQ – AND HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY.”



Also, between the 2 lb. bag of Community Coffee in this box, and the few dozen pounds that my dad sent me in another shipment, this work site has the best java in all of Iraq…and plenty of it. There is very little more refreshing to me (and another south Louisiana native working here) to have the taste of Community Coffee to wake us up in the morning, and to keep us going through the night when we’re up at 3 or 4 am to watch the Tigers or the Saints.

Speaking of which – all you people who are saying “This is our year” had better be knocking on some serious oak wood and then HUSH!! There will be no jinxing it! We’re just going to keep winning “one game at a time” like the good Mr. Peyton says, until the season is done. That’s it – “one game at a time!” No jinxing or I’m going to sick my maw-maw and her famous gris-gris on you all!!!

OK, now that that’s settled, this next box down here is from all the good kids (and I think a couple of the 50-50 ones) at Zion Lutheran Church. Up until I got the last package from my dad – I think this one had the lead for the most sugar per pound of any box. And it was all of course scarffed up in record time…especially the Rice-Krispy treats. I didn’t realize they were ever in the box until I looked at the photo. Somewhere between the camera flash and the box going back on the table they were gone I think.



Last but certainly not least – those who know my dad know that no simple box of food type stuffs would suffice. Thankfully we share the same sometimes sick, sometimes dry, but always highly intellectual sense of humor. So in addition to the snacks and candy, he also sends copies of the World’s Greatest News Source – The Onion. If you don’t know what that is then you haven’t lived. But that’s ok, you can start now by visiting www.theonion.com You can thank me later - after the hernia operation.



Oh – and Emma – I have secretly stashed the Danielle Steel books in random unsuspecting male individuals’ bookshelves. I will dime them out later in as public a fashion as I can. I’m sure this was not your original intent for mailing them…but I am my dad’s son and I think it’s a stellar idea and helps to stave off monotony, so thanks.

OK – next edition, maybe I’ll share how yours truly almost got sent up for a possible Courts Martial. Yep, no kidding. Apparently lawyers in the Army like to find out how much they piss people off just as much as lawyers in the real world like it. And if you know my generally even temper – that gives you ALMOST a clue how pissed I was. But then again, I guess managing 9 million U.S.D. in projects isn’t supposed to be easy.

For now – off to do whatever in the heck I want. I’m finally on my 4 days of R&R so I plan on sleeping and exercising a lot, followed by plenty of TV and some more sleeping. Only 2.5 more months till I come home for leave, and 5 more months till I come home for good!!

Take care all – and….

GO SAINTS!!!!!

No comments: